Welcome to BTB’s “FreeTB” portal, a collection of 100%-free video courses on different aspects of trumpet playing and learning.
To gain access to FreeTB courses, you need to register with a valid e-mail address and personal password. Any of the title hyperlinks or photos will direct you to the registration page. If you have already registered for any FreeTB courses, you can use that same login information to access other courses by selecting “I have an existing account” on the new course registration page. Once registered you automatically remain “logged in” to BTB.
Logged out? Use the login widget directly under the “Popular Posts” widget on the right side of the screen. Once you’re logged-in you can re-access each course through the appropriate link.
A free, five-day e-mail series for trumpet players which outlines simple, yet often under-utilized concepts for getting more out of your practice time. Lessons include easily implemented, practical suggestions for exploring each concept.
You don’t want to miss this one!
Sign-up for series HERE.
*NEW* “FreeTB” Course: Developing Greater Aperture Control
This nine-part video series dives head-first into the theory and practice of aperture control. Huge game-changer for me, and I think you’ll find a lot in the series as well.
1) The point of learning aperture control, why I used to NOT worry about it and now feel it’s extraordinarily beneficial.
2) A brief talk on the general differences, pros and cons, of an “open” vs a more “closed” aperture.
3) The easiest way I know to start improving control of your aperture NOW, with what you’re ALREADY doing.
4) Understanding how to model other players so your subconscious can fuel your imagination for years to come.
5) HOW to practice and maximize the aperture control exercises to learn more naturally, easily, and enjoyably.
6) Some finer points on a classic drill for finding just the right balance between flow and tension.
7) Mouthpiece buzzing for people who hate mouthpiece buzzing, and how to find “alignment.”
8) Some finer points on aperture control
9) An Introduction to Isometrics for the Embouchure. Why they are amazing and how to do them.
You’ll need to REGISTER to gain access to the videos (You can re-use login information. Click: “I have an existing account”)
Already registered? Re-access lessons HERE
(Be sure to read directions at top of page if you’re having trouble accessing course)
( *NEW* FreeTB Course! ) Play Trumpet Effortlessly
“Play Trumpet Effortlessly” is a free video series that demonstrates a “zen-ish” method of practice based on the exercises from Kenny Werner’s “Effortless Mastery.”
There are seven video lessons with a total run time of about 26 minutes (the longest video is 5 minutes), and the collective series aims to help you find a more relaxed, positive style of learning to play.
Lessons: 1) Pick up the Trumpet, 2) The Most Beautiful Sound, 3) Free Roaming, 4) An Effortless Lick, 5) Effortless Lick Breakdown for Musical Domination, 6) Play Fast, 7) Now Move Forward (Closing Thoughts).
If you struggle with anxiety about playing, are not making the progress you think you should be, and/or just want to have a little more fun, this series is for you.
Already Registered? Re-access Lessons HERE.
Seven video lessons on the essential mechanics of trumpet playing. Aimed at beginners, educators, and players interested in sprucing up their chops from the bottom up.
Lessons Included: Breathing, Holding the Trumpet, the Embouchure and Producing a Tone, Articulation, How the Valves Work, Lip Slurs and the Harmonic Series, and Playing by Ear.
Already registered? Re-access lessons HERE (must be logged in).